Exclusive Bitten by Books
Interview with Lori Handeland
A big welcome to our readers today! Be sure to read to the end of the interview to find out how to WIN the fabulous prize being offered up. The contest is open to readers in the US and Canada!
NOTE: This is not a fixed time event, the post just goes live at 10:30 am CDT. You can stop by any time during the day or evening and leave your questions and comments over the next two days. The CONTEST portion of this event runs for FIVE days and ends at 11:59 pm PDT 4/29/09.
Welcome to Bitten by Books, we are excited to have you here today!
I would like to thank you taking the time to join us for the question and answer session with our readers. It has been very interesting to get to know more about you and what makes you tick as a writer! Readers, if you haven’t done so already please stop by and get your copy of Lori’s AWESOME release book two in the Phoenix Chronicles, Doomsday Can Wait.
BBB: What are the most challenging and the most rewarding aspects of writing?
LH: I love creating new characters and situations. I also adore meeting or hearing from readers who love the books as much as I do. I’ve been a reader all my life and I know how much books have meant to me. It’s rewarding to know that my work means as much to others. As for challenging–just the business of publishing. It’s a rough, tough, cutthroat place. I wish I could just live in my office and write my books, but I can’t.
BBB: If Liz Phoenix had a theme song, what would it be?
LH: I always think of Liz as an AC/DC kind of gal. So either Highway to Hell or perhaps Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.
BBB: How do you come up with the titles of your books. I especially like the title of the third book, Apocalypse Happens.
LH: Thanks. Bascially I brainstorm. Combine doomsday words with clever movie titles until I find one that sounds clever. I keep a list.
LH:I hope that eventually they will lead to more people reading.
BBB: What impact do electronic readers create on the bottom line for authors in the end? Do you feel they have a negative impact or positive, or no impact at all that you can see?
LH: I’m really not sure yet. I hope they’ll have a positive impact.
BBB: How do you keep track of your worldbuilding?
LH: I keep notes on each book, each character, each monster that I can refer to whenever necessary.
BBB: Who or what inspires you to write?
LH: I just love the act of writing, of creating. Whenever I take time “off” it never lasts as long as I plan because I miss writing.
BBB: Can you tell us what your next release (s) will be? And do you have stand alone titles forthcoming? How many books do you plan to write in the Phoenix chronicles?
LH: My next release is Doomsday Can Wait and it will be released April 28, 2009. Right now I have no stand alone titles forthcoming. I’ll write as many Phoenix Chronicles as I can. Until the contracts or the story runs out, whichever comes first.
BBB: Should we expect to see more of the sexy shaman Sawyer in Doomsday Can Wait?
LH: A lot more!
BBB: Do you have plans to do any spin offs or stand alones of any of the other characters?
LH: I would love to write about Summer the fairy perhaps or even Ruthie. We’ll see.
BBB: In a game of pool, who would win: Jimmy or Sawyer?
LH: Probably Sawyer. He’s a sorcerer. He’d cheat.
BBB: If you could shapeshift, what animal would you be? And why?
LH: I’ve always thought I would be a wolf. I think they’re beautiful animals, with a pack nature and devotion to their mates.
BBB: What was your inspiration for your unique theory of lycanthropy in the Nightcreature series?
LH: I thought to myself–Who would be evil enough to create a werewolf army? The answer was of course Hitler and his psychotic pal, Mengele.
BBB: What is your favorite quote of all time?
LH: Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can’t, you’re right. Henry Ford
Check out Lori’s new book trailer here:
Learn more about Lori Handeland
Readers, here’s how to enter the contest. You can do ONE or ALL of these things, and each one will give you additional entries at a chance to WIN. Lori will be giving away FIVE copies of her upcoming release Doomsday Can Wait. The contest IS open to readers in the US and Canada.
Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
1. The easiest way to enter is by purchasing copies of Lori’s books. Yep, it is true, if you purchase a copies of any of Lori’s books by using these links here:
Books in the Phoenix Chronicles in the order they should be read:
Any Given Doomsday
Doomsday Can Wait
You will get SIXTY entries to the contest for EACH copy you purchase. You can forgo that second Venti Latte today!
It is NOT mandatory to purchase anything to enter the contests, there are plenty of other ways to enter and win. Just email me a copy of your purchase receipt to racoo.smith @ gmail.com (no spaces). Sorry no faxes or snail mail copies.
2. In order to be entered into this contest the ONE thing you ALL have to do is leave a comment or question. Feel free to start a discussion or ask as many questions as you like. No talking = no entries! You can come by EVERY DAY through 4/29/09 and comment for more entries. Good for 10 entries.
3. Buy ANYTHING from Amazon today THROUGH 4/29/09 by using the Amazon search box on the right hand side of our site. We will know if you used the box to search and buy, so please be sure to use it or your entries won’t count. Send me a copy of the receipt VIA email (sorry no faxes or snail mail) for your purchase to: racoo.smith @ gmail.com (no spaces). Good for 25 entries per item purchased.
4. Read the Bitten by Books reviews of Lori’s books here: http://bittenbybooks.com/?page_id=58&book_author_id=Lori%20Handeland
Then leave a meaningful comment IN THE REVIEW post that shows you read the review, not just a post that says “sounds good” or “nice review”, a couple of sentences would be great! Simply share your thoughts, ideas or opinions and show the author some love. Good for 5 entries per review.
5. SUBSCRIBE to the Bitten by Books newsletter here on the right hand side of the site. This is for new subscribers only. Be sure you VERIFY your subscription, an email is sent with the verification link. Unverified subscribers will not be entered and will be deleted from the mailing list. Good for 10 entries.
6. Spread the word, the more places you post the event, the more entries you get. Post the link to the event / contest today (http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=6374) at another blog, website, Myspace, Ning Group, Facebook, Yahoo Group, Goodreads, Shelfari (any group where it is appropriate). You MUST come back here to this interview and post those links in one response here in this thread. Good for 10 entries per place you post the link to this event.
NOTE: if you post multiple links here, your post will not show up right away. If you don’t see it, don’t keep posting it, we WILL approve your entry later on in the day.
7. Add us as your friend on
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=59929467915
Good Reads: http://www.goodreads.com/bitten_by_books
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BittenbyBooks be SURE to tweet us after you follow so we can count your entry! @BittenbyBooks
Be sure to mention that you are friending us for this contest so we know to enter you! Good for 10 entries per place you friend us.
8. Be friends with Lori by joining her here:
Then send us the confirmation emails you get for each one to racoo.smith @ gmail.com (no spaces)
9. Twitter and ask your friends to re-tweet the URL for this event be SURE to include us in your tweet @BittenbyBooks http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=6374. Good for 10 entries each day you tweet it.
10. Add Lori’s website and blog to your blog roll or links page: http://www.lorihandeland.com/
http://thegoddessblogs.com/ Good for 10 entries for each place you post each link.
11. Add Bitten by Books to your blog roll or links page: http://bittenbybooks.com if you leave our link up permanently you will always be entered into our contests automatically. Just be sure to stop by each contest we hold and leave the link to where it is so we can give you your entry! Good for 10 entries.
12. Email ALL of your friends and invite them to come by this week! If your fiends come and post here and say you sent them, they get TWO entries and you get FOUR entries! They have to tell us who you are so we know who to give the entries to. You can invite as many people as you want and get all the extra entries!
13. Join the The Blood Bank the Bitten by Books Community! here: http://bittenbybooks.ning.com/ then come back here and tell us your user name. Be sure to post something about yourself on your blog there. Good for 10 entries
GENERAL CONTEST INFORMATION:
The contest ends on 4/29/09 at 11:59 pm PDT and the winners will be contacted the following week. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning.
IMPORTANT CONTEST RULES:
1. If you aren’t interested in receiving the prize, offered please do not enter the contest.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to me. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re- award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let us know as soon as possible. We have the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers worldwide. The prize is shipped directly from the author.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry