Exclusive Bitten by Books
Interview with Author Amber Benson
A big welcome to our readers today! Be sure to read to the end of the interview to find out how to WIN the fabulous prizes being offered up. Open to readers worldwide!
NOTE: This is not a fixed time event, the post just goes live at 10:00 pm CDT. You can stop by any time during the day or evening and leave your questions and comments through tomorrow afternoon.
Welcome to Bitten by Books, we are excited to have you here today!
I would like to thank you taking the time to join us for the question and answer session with our readers. It has been very interesting to get to know more about you and what makes you tick as a writer! Readers, if you haven’t done so already please stop by and get your copy of Amber’s latest release Death’s Daughter.
BBB: What do you find the most challenging and the most rewarding aspect of writing?
AB: The most rewarding and the most challenging part of writing are intertwined. When someone reads what you’ve written and are moved by what you’ve created, it is the best, most wonderful feeling in the world. On the other hand, someone else can read those same words and be disgusted by them and therein lies the Catch-22. You end up having to learn that no matter how wonderful or terrible someone else thinks your work is, the only that really matters is how you feel about it. And THAT is the most challenging part of the job.
BBB: Your books seem extremely well researched. Do you enjoy this part of writing? What resources do you find most helpful?
AB: I love doing research. It’s funny, but for Death’s Daughter, I ended up doing more research about clothing designers than I did about anything else. I went to more malls and stores than I’ve ever stepped foot in before. It was both frighting and elucidating at the same time. Probably the website http://www.couturecandy.com is where I did the most lurking. I love religion and mythology, so I knew a lot of that stuff already. Joseph Campbell is a big influence on me and he kind of inspired the use of the hero’s journey in the book.
AB: I don’t have a Kindle, but I know people that swear by them. Sorry, but I just love the feel of a book in my hand. Call me old school, but I get excited by the crack of the spine and the smell of newly printed pages. Maybe I’m just a book fetishist! I do think that anything that gets people reading is positive. You have to change with the technology and it seems that this is the way publishing (and entertainment in general) is going. I just hope they never stop printing books, even when they become obsolete. I’ll miss them terribly.
AB: I think that remains to be seen. The one thing that isn’t cool (and there was a great article in The New York Times by Roy Blount, Jr. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/opinion/25blount.html is that Kindle 2 now has a voice feature which could begin to undercut a publisher’s ability to create and sell Books On Tape.
BBB: Okay the Buffy fangirl in me has to ask…what was it like working with James Marsters and David Boreanz?
AB: I never worked with/or met David Boreanaz until last year when I read for his show Bones and he was directing the episode. He was super nice and we kind of laughed about how strange the whole thing was. Isn’t that crazy? I worked with James Marsters for three seasons on Buffy and I had the honor of directing him in my first feature film, CHANCE. He is an amazing actor and human being. Just a real sweetie and a real professional.
BBB: What called you to pursue writing paranormal fiction?
AB: I love Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse books. I blame her entirely for me getting interested in the genre. I had always read straight sci-fi and fantasy and then I discovered Sookie. I also have to say that Chris Golden introduced me to the amazing Ginjer Buchanan (Charlaine’s editor and now mine, too) so gets some of the blame, too!
BBB: Can you tell us what your next release (s) will be? And do you have stand alone titles forthcoming?
AB: The next book in the Calliope Reaper-Jones series will probably be out the next Winter/Spring. I also have a middle grade book called, The New Newbridge Academy, that Liesa Abrams over at Aladdin picked up. It will be out next year, I’m hoping.
BBB: Acting (as well as directing and producing) must exercise different creative muscles than does writing. Which do you find the most exhausting, or that takes the most out of you?
AB: Doing the press for the book has been a lot of work. Very rewarding, but a lot more energy exerted than I would’ve thought. After that comes directing. Making a movie is like having a baby; a really colic-y, overwhelming baby that requires all of your attention 24/7.
BBB: Do you think your acting career helped or hindered your publishing career?
AB: My acting career helped, no doubt about it, but it also hurt me, too. The big question I get asked a lot is: Did you really write the book? I have to laugh when someone asks this becuase I literally spent 9 months hunched over my computer giggling to myself about this plot point or the other.
BBB: What plans do you have for Calliope in the future will she get a HEA?
AB: I actually had to look up what a HEA was. I don’t want to give away the ending, so I will say that Calliope ends up getting what she deserves. That’s mean, isn’t it?
BBB: What is your all time favorite paranormal/urban fantasy book?
AB: Dead Until Dark
BBB: Do you plan future collaborative writing projects with anyone?
AB: I definitely want to work more with Chris Golden. I like to joke that I went to Chris Golden University where I learned the finer points of prose writing.
BBB: Are there plans for more installments in the Ghosts of Albion series?
AB: Chris Golden and I would love to do more, but that is entirely up to Del Rey.
BBB: Is there a particular person who you look up to as a role model or mentor as far as personal growth? If so, who is it and why?
AB: I would have to say, Adam Busch, my partner and co-director on the film, DRONES. I’ve spent my life with first child syndrome, aka, the people-pleasing bug. Adam showed me that I had to make myself happy first. That, invariably, when I was happy, it made other people happy, too. And that is a hard lesson to learn for someone like me!
BBB: What is your favorite quote of all time?
AB: That’s easy. “To thine own self be true.” – William Shakespeare.
Readers, learn more about Amber Benson here:
Readers, here’s how to enter the contest. You can do ONE or ALL of these things, and each one will give you additional entries at a chance to WIN. THREE lucky participants will win an a copy of Death’s Daughter Amber’s NEW release. Contest is open to international readers.
Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
1. In order to be entered into this contest the ONE thing you ALL have to do is leave a comment or question. Feel free to start a discussion or ask as many questions as you like. No talking = no entries! You can come by through 3/25/09 and comment for more entries. Good for 10 entries.
2. Read the Bitten by Books review of Amber’s book here: http://bittenbybooks.com/?page_id=58&book_author_id=Amber%20Benson
Then leave a meaningful comment IN THE REVIEW post that shows you read the review, not just a post that says “sounds good” or “nice review”, a couple of sentences would be great! Simply share your thoughts, ideas or opinions and show the author some love. Good for 5 entries per review you comment on.
3. Post the link to Amber’s review on Bitten by books along with your thoughts on YOUR blog/website. You MUST come back here and post the links to where you posted the review links at. Good for 15 entries per place you post them.
4. SUBSCRIBE to the Bitten by Books newsletter here on the right hand side of the site. This is for new subscribers only. Be sure you VERIFY your subscription, an email is sent with the verification link. Unverified subscribers will not be entered and will be deleted from the mailing list. Good for 10 entries.
5. Spread the word, the more places you post the event, the more entries you get. Post the link to the event / contest today (http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=5261) at another blog, website, Myspace, Ning Group, Facebook, Yahoo Group, Goodreads, Shelfari (any group where it is appropriate). You MUST come back here to this interview and post those links in one response here in this thread. Good for 10 entries per place you post the link to this event.
NOTE: if you post multiple links here, your post will not show up right away. If you don’t see it, don’t keep posting it, we WILL approve your entry later on in the day.
6. Purchase copies of Amber’s awesome books or DVD’s USING THE LINKS BELOW today THROUGH 3/25/09 from AMAZON. Then send us a copy of the receipt VIA email (sorry no faxes or snail mail) for your purchase to: racoo.smith @ gmail.com (no spaces) for THIRTY additional entries. You get THIRTY entries for each book you purchase and FIFTY entries for each DVD. You can buy print, Kindle or audio downloads of her books and they count as well. Not valid on past purchases. Please use these links below to buy her most recent books.
Ghosts of Albion: Accursed
Witchery: A Ghosts of Albion
Or buy ANYTHING from Amazon today THROUGH 3/25/09 by using the Amazon search box on the right hand side of our site. We will know if you used the box to search and buy, so please be sure to use it or your entries won’t count. Send me a copy of the receipt VIA email (sorry no faxes or snail mail) for your purchase to: racoo.smith @ gmail.com (no spaces). Good for 20 entries per item purchased.
7. Add us as your friend on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/bittenbybooks
Add us as your friend on Facebook: http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614064436
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BittenbyBooks be SURE to tweet us after you follow so we can count your entry! @BittenbyBooks
Be sure to mention that you are friending us for this contest so we know to enter you! Good for 5 entries per place you friend us.
8. Be friends with Amber by joining her here:
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/people/Amber-Benson/1235011957
Good for 10 entries each place you add.
9. Twitter and ask your friends to re-tweet the URL for this event be SURE to include us in your tweet @BittenbyBooks http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=5261. Good for 10 entries.
11. Add Bitten by Books to your blog roll or links page: http://bittenbybooks.com if you leave our link up permanently you will always be entered into our contests automatically. Just be sure to stop by each contest we hold and leave the link to where it is so we can give you your entry! Good for 10 entries.
12. Email ALL of your friends and invite them to come by this week! If your fiends come and post here and say you sent them, they get TWO entries and you get FOUR entries! They have to tell us who you are so we know who to give the entries to. You can invite as many people as you want and get all the extra entries!
13. Join the The Blood Bank the Bitten by Books Community! here: http://bittenbybooks.ning.com/ then come back here and tell us your user name. Be sure to post something about yourself on your blog there. Good for 10 entries
GENERAL CONTEST INFORMATION:
The contest ends on 3/25/09 at 11:59 pm PDT and the winner will be contacted the following week. You will receive your prize directly from the publisher. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning.
IMPORTANT CONTEST RULES:
1. If you aren’t interested in receiving the prize, offered please do not enter the contest.
2. You have THREE days from the day the I contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to me. Failure to contact me will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re- award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. We have the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers worldwide. The prize is shipped directly from the publisher.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry