PLEASE NOTE: The contest portion of the Kalayna Price event is now closed. The winner will be chosen at a later date and contacted via email.
It’s a Friday night on the town when you notice a man in the back of the bar watching the crowd with a predatory expression as he sips a glass of red wine. Or is it red wine? If you’re a heroine in an urban fantasy, there is a very good chance he is of the fanged variety. The question is, do the humans around you realize there is a vampire in their midst?
That depends on if the world is “closed” as in the human population is largely ignorant to supernatural’s around them, or “open”—the things that go bump in the night are real, and everyone knows it. If you encounter the above vamp is in a book with a closed world, you might be safe as creatures in hiding tend to avoid drawing too much attention to themselves. Or he might drain you—or one of the unsuspecting bar hoppers—right there in the back booth and the other patrons will assume you couldn’t hold your liquor and passed out. After all, vampires don’t exist, right? If the world is open, the vamp might be on his best behavior because he’ll be reported if he tries anything or because it’s a well known fact the bar owner keeps a loaded crossbow under the bar (you know, beside the shotgun loaded with silver slugs and the bucket of salt water). Or maybe this is a well-known vamp club and by walking in after dark you all but tattooed welcome across your artery.
Open and Closed worlds present different challenges to a character and create a different dynamic between the supernaturals in a story and the humans around them. I’m very pleased that I’ve had the opportunity to explore both sides in my writing.
In my first series, the Novels of Haven, the world is closed. The supernaturals work hard to maintain the secret of their existence, and Kita, the main character and a shifter turned vampire, uses that need of secrecy to her advantage when possible. But in a world where the supernaturals are hiding, exposing them or endangering the secret of their existence can reap very deadly consequences.
In my new series, the Alex Craft novels, which launch today with the release of the very first book, Grave Witch, the world is open. Seventy years before the time of the story, the fae came “out of the mushroom ring” and announced their existence to a skeptical world. A magical awakening occurred, and by the time the story takes place, magic is commonplace.
Alex Craft lives in a world where law enforcement has special units to solve magical crimes, where gargoyles guard buildings, and where reporters scry for good stories. If you hate your freckles or would like to be a larger cup size, there are vanity charms for that. If you need to question the dead, well, that’s where Alex comes in. Alex raises shades, talks to ghosts, and even flirts with Death himself. Because everyone knows magic is real, Alex raises shades—the memories of the dead given solid form—for private clients, for the police on murder cases, and even for the DA’s office. But just because magic is well acknowledged, that doesn’t mean it is always accepted or that even in an open world there aren’t secrets that should remain hidden.
Questions for the readers:
1. Do you prefer reading about open or closed worlds in Urban Fantasy? What are some of your favorite series?
2. If you had Alex’s ability and could speak to the dead, who would you want to question?
♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ
Learn more about Kalayna Price here:
Read reviews of the author’s work here.
♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ ♥ ♥ஐ
CONTEST INFO: Open to readers WORLDWIDE
Prize: $50.00 Electronic Amazon gift card
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, none of your entries will count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Answer Kalayna’s questions and ask her some questions please make sure they aren’t duplicates. Good for 10 + entries per question. (Max 3 good towards entries)
3. Order copies of Kalayna’s new book Grave Witch by clicking the links below.
To purchase a print copy of Grave Witch from Amazon click here.
To purchase a Kindle copy of Grave Witch from Amazon click here.
To purchase a print copy of Grave Witch from Barnes & Noble click here.
To purchase an Nook copy of Grave Witch from Barnes & Noble click here.
Good for 150 + entries per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces). Not valid on past purchases.
OR you can use the Barnes & Noble link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. You can also use the Amazon link HERE to shop as well. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase. Not valid on past purchases.
4. Make an actual blog POST on your BLOG and invite your readers about this event and use this live link to link back to this event: http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=31439 and this cover of the book. Come back and tell us where you shared. This REALLY Helps the author spread the word about their new book, so give a hand and help them out by talking about it on your blog!!! + 125 entries
5. Twitter this phrase exactly: PzRT: Author @kalayna Release Party/Chat/Contest LIVE NOW: http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=31439 #BBBGraveWitch #Giveaways $50- #Amazon GC
10+ Entries per tweet (max 5 per day DON’T tweet them all at the same time, spread them out throughout the day or they won’t count)
6. Attend and participate in the J.K. Beck Kindle 3G Contest event today: http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=31430 + 25 points
7. Check out the awesome new Vampire Academy Jewelry Line and pick up your DISCOUNT CODE here: http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=30605 buy something http://cadsawan.com/collection-buy.shtml Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces). Not valid on past purchases. Good for + 100 entries
8. Other fun stuff to do while you are here today! +5 entries for each of these you do.
RSVP for the Zoe Archer event Tomorrow
Attend and comment at the Weekly Book Chat
Attend and comment at the Weekly Poll
Attend and comment at the Screen Bites
Attend and comment at the Off the Fang Column
9. Tally Your own points total 1 + Entries
Also be SURE to check out our amazing line up of other author events this month here: http://bittenbybooks.com/?page_id=4
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
The contest ends on 10/6/10 at 11:59 pm Central and the winner will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have FIVE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to me. Failure to contact me will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are shipped directly from the publisher unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry