PLEASE NOTE: The contest portion of the Christine Cody event is now closed. The winner will be chosen at a later date and contacted via email.
Christine Cody is the author of the postapocalyptic supernatural Western Bloodlands series. The
first book, Bloodlands, launched July 26, followed by Blood Rules (August 30) and In Blood We Trust
What follows is an interview with one of the so-called New Badlanders.
Who are you?
Chaplin. I’m what they call an “Intel Dog,” which means I was bred and trained in a lab to be a better
version of man’s best friend. You could even call me Fido 4.0, or something of the sort. I communicate
through a series of sounds known as “Canine,” and humans must learn the language just as I learned
theirs in the lab.
Do you have a master?
A mistress, and her name is Mariah. (Pause) Her father created me, but she was always my favorite.
He brought me home when I was a pup, and I grew up with Mariah. You might say that, in many ways, I
raised her. She was a good mistress.
(The interviewer has noticed a change of tone in Chaplin’s Canine and body language. He has slumped
ever so slightly.)
She was a good mistress?
I misspoke. She’s still my mistress. It’s only that… You can say that Mariah and I are currently going
through a tense time. It began back in the New Badlands, when we were only trying to survive. Then
the vampire Gabriel arrived, then Mariah met a creature called Subject 562….
Okay, first, it sounds as if Gabriel really changed things.
(An arch expression.) He did. And I did what I had to do to protect her. If that meant choosing her over
Gabriel, then so be it.
And this Subject 562…?
Absolute trouble, yet unavoidable. Next question, please, and make them less personal.
All right. (Flips through e-notes.) If you had the chance to turn into a human, would you take it?
Of course not.
Why do you say that?
(Chuffs.) Have you seen what humans have done? The government is what it is because humans
allowed it to become that way. Bad guys are rampant. Basically, the States are just now recovering
from a globally-inflicted economic mess. And the distractoids in the urban hubs? Do you really believe
I’d want to be associated in any way with that?
How about something human-like? A vampire? A were-creature?
No, thank you. I admire a fully developed vampire’s sense of logic, but new vampires and were-
creatures are just as unstable as humans. They all need help, in my humble opinion.
So what do you like to do for fun?
(A wistful sound.) When I was younger, I used to have toys—stuffed animals, the like. And I enjoyed
sitting and looking at the collection of Geek dolls that Mariah’s father had. I outgrew them well before
she did. As far as other playtime goes, the two of us used to wrestle, though that hasn’t happened
If you could live during any time in history, when would it be?
During the Before era. You know, before the as ice caps melted and the weather altered the
planet. Before the disease-carrying mosquitoes spread their poisons and destroyed a great deal of the
population. Before the mass paranoia brought on “monster hunts” that caused certain individuals to
flee civilization since humans believed “monsters” were no better than parasites who would feed off
humans and someday extinguish their already-threatened race.
In the Before era, even regular dogs had it pretty nice. I hear the food they could eat was rather
delicious, and there were dog shows. And grooming salons.
(Sighs) If only.
If you could have one wish, what would it be?
To be able to smile again. Truly smile. But I think there will be a day when I can do that soon. With
proper guidance, the new monster societies will be able to overcome all the human bad guys out there,
and I hope to be round to see that. And I know things will change once Mariah learns the control I’ve
tried so hard to teach her.
(Smiles as best as he can) Yes. Someday soon.
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆
Learn more about Christine Cody Below:
Read reviews of the author’s work here.
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆
Prize: A $40.00 Electronic Amazon Gift Card
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
The CONTEST portion of the event runs TWO DAYS until 11:59 pm Central on 10/5/11. Open to readers WORLDWIDE unless otherwise noted.
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask the author some questions, please no duplicates. + 1 points ask as many questions as you like PLEASE ASK EACH ONE IN A SEPARATE POST
3. Spread the word about this contest and HELP OUT Christine by spreading the word about her new book!
Tweet this event: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=47757 + 1 Points (max 3 times a day please not all at the same time) include @bittenbybooks in your tweet.
4. Order NEW copies of the author’s book by using the links below.
Purchase a print copy of In Blood We Trust from Amazon
Purchase a Kindle copy of In Blood We Trust from Amazon
Books in the Bloodlands series in the order they should be read:
In Blood We Trust
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
You can also use the Amazon link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase.
5. Enter and participate in Marie Treanor’s Release Party and $100.00 Amazon GC contest today +1 point: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=47766
RSVP for Jennifer Estep’s guest blog tomorrow with contest here + 1 point: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=47750
RSVP for Linda Poitvin’s Interview and contest tomorrow here + 1 point: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=47749
6. Tally your own points total +1 point
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry