Release Party for Futuredaze with Editor Erin Underwood and More and a $40.00 Amazon Gift Card Contest!
WINNERS of the contest have been contacted via email. They are: Bonnie H. and Lisa R. They have THREE days to contact us or their prize will be awarded to another reader.
Futuredaze: An Anthology of Young Adult Science Fiction is our answer to the lack of short science fiction being published for teens. Fans of YA fantasy, horror, or paranormal romance have been feasting for years on a bounty of literature (and there are obviously some great new YA science fiction novels) but where’s the short SF for young adults? Short science fiction has always been an important breeding ground for new, innovative fiction. This lack is troubling.
Science fiction is a wide-ranging genre—experimental, multifaceted, far-seeing, diverse. James Tiptree, Ursula K. LeGuin, Ray Bradbury, KurtVonnegut, and the young Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) wrote the stories SF continues to riff on today. Despite the Suzanne Collins juggernaut, there aren’t many young adult SF anthologies in a post-Katniss world. In particular, it seems odd that short science fiction written to contemporary young adult standards is largely missing from bookstore shelves: i.e. fiction featuring teens, written from the teen perspective. Surely teens want short SF? Surely authors want to write it? Maybe this nascent form of science fiction is a bit of a teenager itself: a little bit lovelorn, a little misunderstood. So, while Katniss might have gained in popularity, Bella Swan has kept her status as Prom Queen–at least for now.
In order to break short YA science fiction out of its funk we decided to inject it with some rocket fuel. We wanted teens to have contemporary science fiction that is written for them that also holds a modern mirror to the stories we’d grown up with—those classic “golden age” tales that established the genre—but we also wanted to honor the fluidity of a genre that can take you to Mars one day and post-apocalyptic Auckland the next. We wanted to dazzle a young audience with the elastic potential
of science fiction—and to create a collection of stories with as much variety of experience as kids themselves. So, we created Futuredaze.
While Futuredaze is not likely to be the “end all” of young adult science fiction anthologies, we hope that it is a step toward building a solid launching pad for teens who are interested in exploring science through fiction. Whether our readers are like young Alex Benedict, uncovering secrets of the past, or savvy Min Wan who plans to pilot her own starship, or brave Owen Mboku “jumping” into love and combat, we hope SF aficionados of all ages will find a piece of themselves in this anthology. Yes, Futuredaze was created for teens, but you don’t have to be a teen to “get it.”
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆
Learn more about Futuredaze and the authors here:
CONTEST INFO: Open to readers worldwide.
PRIZE: 2 -$20.00 Amazon Gift Cards
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
The CONTEST portion of the event runs FOUR DAYS until 11:59 pm Central on 3/15/13.
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask the author some questions, please no duplicates. + 1 points ask as many questions as you like PLEASE ASK EACH ONE IN A SEPARATE POST
3. Spread the word about this contest and HELP OUT Erin and friends by spreading the word about their book!
Tweet this event: http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=62260 + 1 Points (max 3 times a day please not all at the same time) include @bittenbybooks in your tweet.
4. Buy a NEW copy of the author’s book by using the links below
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
5. You can also use the Amazon link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase. NOTE FREE KINDLE BOOKS DO NOT COUNT as a purchase.
6. Tally your own points total +1 point
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry