Brynna: Good morning! It’s a pleasure to visit with Bitten by Books today. Joining me is Devin McLoch, recurring character in the Elemental Magic series. His story, Fire’s Ice, released this month. Hi, Dev. Thanks for being here.
Devin: Hey, Bryn, how are the kids?
Brynna: Doing good, driving me a little crazy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Thanks for taking time to be here today. Do you mind answering some questions for our readers?
Devin: Not at all. What’s on your mind?
Brynna: Okay, we’ll just jump right in then. When did you first use magic and realize power would always be a part of your existence?
Devin: I was born a laird’s son, so power struggles were something I dealt with every day. Still, magic is different. I was seven when the visions started. Shadowy images; whispered sounds. Simple like hearing someone’s words before they actually said them or knowing a trencher(that’s a plate) was about to be knocked off the table to the floor. It unnerved my father, Duncan. I was his heir, but in his world, all things magic were evil incarnate including me. Father blamed the sliver of faerie blood my mother possessed for my gifts.
At twelve, my phoenix fire began to emerge; my father could no longer ignore my powers existed. Mother went against his wishes and summoned her cousin Daemon to teach me control before I killed someone or myself with the power. Lucky for me, I was a quick study. By the time I turned sixteen I had complete control, at twenty I had mastered all the other elements as well.
Brynna: You’ve never mentioned your father and now I see why. What is the hardest thing about living a thousand years?
Devin: Time. Just finding a way to spend the endless time. If I had stopped to think about the infinity of what was ahead, it would have driven me mad. I turned twenty five a week before the MacGavins attacked. I had spent my life preparing to lead our clan, to defend and protect those in my charge and I failed. I grieved the loss of my family until I thought the pain would kill me, but it didn’t. I became a swordsman for hire, craved danger and death. No matter what I tried, nothing could end my cursed existence. I roamed the world and longed for Scotland.
Brynna: What made you decide to change your destructive course?
Devin: I found my way to Ireland, to the stone dance by the sea on the day of Daemon’s daughter’s death. The village was quiet, in mourning over their beloved healer Sorca. I realized something then as I stood in the shadows while her children, those of her blood and those of her heart, buried their mother. My clan wasn’t gone. Sorca’s family was mine as well. I was needed. I had a duty to protect those she left behind.
Brynna: When did you realize the Ari in the bubble might not be the Ari people thought she was?
Devin: I heard a soft sobbing on the wind after Sorca’s burial. I followed the sound hoping to offer comfort and found myself outside the dance. I couldn’t see her, but I could feel Arianne’s grief and love for her niece. I knew then. I understood what it was like to grieve alone. I had to help her, though at the time I resented having Ari magically betrothed to me. I prefer to do the choosing. I tried to push through the barrier of magic surrounding the stones but it was no use. All of our powers, including hers, held Ari bound.
Brynna: So in a way, Ari saved you. What do you miss most about your life a thousand years ago (outside of your family), and what do you like best about life today?
Devin: The simplicity of everyday life. The world moves so fast now we don’t take time to enjoy it. Still, technology fascinates me.
Brynna: Do you always have control over your powers?
Devin: I’d like to say yes, but the truth is when I am worried, sick or upset I have to calm my mind for the magic to obey me.
Brynna: If we asked Ari to describe you in three words, what would she say?
Devin: Hmm. That’s a good question. Arrogant, powerful and fiercely protective. She’d be right. There is nothing I wouldn’t do, no lengths I wouldn’t go to protect those I love. My family is the most important aspect of my life.
Brynna: What one thing fascinates you about Ari the most?
Devin: Ari is just an amazing person. It isn’t any one thing but countless little things she does. The way she cares for others, gives of herself even when it would be wise to back away. She’s beautiful of course, fun and sexy, but it’s her loving nature that attracts me the most.
Brynna: Thanks for taking the time to visit with us, Dev, and telling us a little about your past. I know it can’t be easy for you.
Devin: Anytime, Bryn. I’ll be hanging around for a little while to answer questions.
Brynna: Wonderful! Alright y’all. The floor is all yours. Anything you’ve been dying to ask Devin? Go for it. We’ll both be here looking forward to your comments.
Author Bio: Paranormal romance and romantic suspense author Brynna Curry is a lifelong believer in the importance of reading. She enjoys the writing process, helping others hone their craft by lending her time to review books, critique manuscripts and serving as a contest judge. She loves hearing from her readers.
When she isn’t writing, she’s often found haunting the library for new books to read, at the park with her children, or just spending an quiet evening at home with her husband Jackie watching old westerns on TV. She makes her home in North Alabama where the history is rich with music and culture, forests and lakes are abundant and beautiful, and every day is another adventure.
☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉ ☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉ ☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉ ☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉
Learn more about Brynna Curry Below
Read reviews of the authors work here
☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉ ☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉ ☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉ ☸ ૐ ☮ ♥ ☼ ♉
CONTEST INFO: Open to readers WORLDWIDE!
Prize: A $20.00 Electronic Amazon Gift Card PLUS a copy of Charmed (print – valued at $11.95 – signed and personalized) – Containing Earth Enchanted, To Take Up the Sword and Wait for the Wind. As well as a copy of Sea’s Sorceress (ebook- fourth in series). One winner takes all!
Prize: A $20.00 Electronic Amazon Gift Card
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
The CONTEST portion of the event runs TWO DAYS until 11:59 pm Central on 6/26/12.
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask some questions, please no duplicates. Answer the authors questions. + 1 point per question PLEASE ASK EACH ONE IN A SEPARATE POST.
3. Spread the word about this contest and HELP OUT Brynna by spreading the word about her book!
Tweet AND Facebook this event: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=54369 + 1 Points (max 3 times a day please not all at the same time) include @bittenbybooks in your tweet.
4. Get a NEW copy of the author’s book by using the link below
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
You can also use the Amazon link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. NOTE FREE KINDLE BOOKS DO NOT COUNT as a purchase. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase using the link above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
5. Go here: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=54347 and RSVP for Marie Treanor’s Release Party and $50.00 Amazon Gift Card contest that will be held tomorrow. Good for 1 point
6. Go here: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/53973/bitten-by-books-needs-you/ and do one of the things listed to help support Bitten by Books annual fundraiser. Good for 200 points. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
7. Go here: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=54289 and leave a meaningful comment and and join the discussion on this week’s Screen Bites brought you by columnist Carol Malcolm. Good for 5 points.
8. Tally your own points total +1 point
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry.