TFH: 1 – I like creepy crawlers, as in spiders, bats and snakes. I found three snakes recently while spreading mulch in my garden; two garter snakes and a red racer. One of the garter snakes was rather large. I took it as a good omen for the summer.
2 – I’m kind of blunt, and don’t enjoy lying. That means if you ask my opinion, I’ll give you the unvarnished truth, or say nothing out of politeness. I’m not unkind–I try to make a point of being kind–but I don’t like to say something is fabulous when it’s not.
3 – I also tend to hold grudges against people who make themselves out to be friends and/or allies and then find ways to screw me over.
That said, I try to be a good friend, and hope that most of the time I succeed
BBB: What actors would you choose to play some of your characters if your book were made into a movie or a TV show?
TFH: Actually, I’d be happy to have an unknown play Lash, or Danial, or Sar, or even Devlin. What they look like doesn’t have to be my physical version of the character, so long as they have the ability to bring the character to life for fans. You’d need a male actor with depth to play Lash that could not only be terrible and ruthless, but also sensitive and loving. I’d also like actors to play my characters that weren’t well known, so people didn’t see the actors so much in the film, but the characters in a story. For example, Tom Cruise is so well known, when you see him he’s Tom Cruise first, then as the story goes on, the audience hopefully believes him to be whatever character he is portraying. With an unknown, or an actor that has only been in smaller roles, its easier for me as a viewer to lose myself in the story.
BBB: How do you keep track of your world building?
TFH: Many, many spreadsheets! LOL Actually, it is not as bad as all that. Lash and Promise Me take place in the same world, just separated by decades. There will be characters that appear in both, like vampires Devlin and Danial. But both series can stand by themselves. The Lash series will remain action adventure oriented with Lash as the protagonist, while the Promise Me series will retain romantic overtones with suspense, with Danial and Sar major players. Bradley Publishing is publishing the Lash series, and Melange Books is publishing the Promise Me series. Links are below
BBB: Please tell us more about Lash and the storyline that drives it.
TFH: The protagonist of Lash is the weresnake Trystan Valeras. He is a kid from a poor family, with the deck of life stacked against him. He starts life innocent, wanting what any one of us wants: a safe home, enough to eat, to be warm, and to have his family prosper. When his family is forced to leave the swamp they call home, tragedies befall them one after another like dominos. His mother is almost raped, and Trystan has to kill the man to defend her. Fleeing to the coast, Trystan’s family prosper slightly with steady food that their servant labor earns, but Trystan still endures bullying and shunning by most everyone but his family. When his long lost wealthy father appears the summer Tryst turns 16, he thinks that he can have a new life, especially when he falls for Mara. But Trystan’s father is a gangster, with some deadly enemies. Even as many of Tryst’s current problems are solved by his family’s newfound wealth, other new issues just crop up to complicate his life. At times he no sooner resolves one problem than another presents itself -
Chief themes in this book are how it feels to be an outsider, the horrors of being discriminated against for something you can’t change, the lengths people will go to to protect the ones they love or get revenge, and the struggle of a man to shake off the horrors he goes through to find the will to keep going, and not become a souless killer.
BBB: How many more books/will there be other books in this world?
TFH: Bradley just issued me a contract for Lash #2, which is titled Shadow Man. Shadow Man will be out this coming fall on October 22nd I’d like to write many more Lash books in the years to come.
BBB: Did you do any kind of research to determine the details of your characters lives / lifestyles?
TFH: I watched a LOT of movies from the 30’s, and did some research online for Lash. But much of it is from my imagination, too. I did even more research for Shadow Man. I want this series to be as realistic as possible in terms of the time period, and what technology was available, what social issues were being talked about, what big events happened in the years the book covers, etc. For example, it is so easy to make a phone call these days, and most people have at least one personal phone. But in the 20s, most people didn’t have a phone of their own.
BBB: Are you a plotser or a panster? or a Planster (a combo of both – lol)
TFH: I’m both. I jot down ideas and facts I want to use, and get a very general outline together. Then I work out a way to fit them all in. Sometimes while I’m writing, though, I go off on a tangent that changes a chunk of the plot. The hard part sometimes is choosing which way to go!
BBB: What types of creatures can readers expect in your world?
TFH:: I put in whatever the story needs. Bea the faerie got put in Lash as a faerie because I wanted her to be something other than human, vampire, or were. There will be demons, witches, weres of all types, and some odder beings, too. Werewolves will show up, but as they are a usual part of most vampire/paranormal books, I plan to downplay them in the series in favor of other paranormal beings, like werebats.
BBB: What’s coming up for you in 2012 and 2013?
TFH:Too many books to count! Here is what is confirmed, as in, I have signed contracts for:
Promise Me, my first vampire romance, published in late May. I’m in a vampire anthology called Midnight Thirsts 2 publishing in June. In September, Broken Promise (Promise Me #2) is slated to come out. I’m doing an anthology with a friend Jenny Twist called Bedtime Shadows and also in an anthology of erotic stories tentatively called Make Me Behave that month, too. I’m in 3 horror anthologies in the fall with short horror stories, also. October 22nd, Shadow Man comes out. In December, Taken in the Night, Promise Me #3 will release.
In 2013, there will be 3 more Promise Me sequels, and likely at least one more Lash sequel, though that is not yet confirmed.
1 – a For anyone who has read any of my works (short stories, novels, or flash fiction), name a character, the actor you think would play them best, and why. Please also list the title of the work.
b In lieu of that, give me the name of your favorite actor or actress, and why I should consider him or her as the perfect heroine or hero for my next romance or action adventure novel. The only rule is that you have to choose someone who has not yet been in a vampire movie playing either vampire or victim/lover!
2 – It’s been said that no story ever truly ends. Many of my short stories are open ended, and I wonder sometimes if I should make a sequel to some of those works. Tell me what you love best about sequels, and what you hate the most about them, so I’ll know what to beware of.
3 – What werecreature would you like to see show up in the following Lash books? Give me the name of the creature, some particulars, and why you want to see it in the books. If I like your idea, I’ll put it in an upcoming Lash related work! Any creature will be considered except weresnakes and werewolves, which are already mentioned in the first Lash book. Be as creative as you want to be!
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨
Learn more about Tara Fox Hall Below:
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨
CONTEST INFO: Open to readers WORLDWIDE
PRIZE: $20.00 Amazon Gift Card
Plus 2 Print copies of Promise Me (US Only)
Lash is going to be a FREE download at Amazon ALL day today!
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
The CONTEST portion of the event runs TWO DAYS until 11:59 pm Central on 6/6/12.
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask some questions, please no duplicates and answer the authors questions. + 1 point per question PLEASE ASK EACH ONE IN A SEPARATE POST.
3. Spread the word about this contest and HELP OUT Tara by spreading the word about her book!
Tweet AND Facebook this event: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=53794 + 1 Points (max 3 times a day please not all at the same time) include @bittenbybooks in your tweet.
4. Get a NEW copy of the author’s book by using the link below
Pick up a FREE Kindle copy of Lash from Amazon by clicking here.
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
You can also use the Amazon link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. NOTE ALL OTHER FREE KINDLE BOOKS DO NOT COUNT as a purchase. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase using the link above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
5. Go and comment on this week’s screen bites column: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=53784 + 1 point
6. Tally your own points total +1 point
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry.