JET: Hello and welcome to another JET-Fueled Q&A session here on Bitten By Books. I have Manhattan’s lovely assistant district attorney Carolyn Hastings on tap. Welcome and thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk with us today.
Carolyn: Thank you for having me Ms. Taylor.
JET: Can you tell us what types of cases you specialize in?
Carolyn: I work in the Special Victims Bureau and my focus is in the child abuse arena, although I’ve had crossover to both sexual abuse and human trafficking in the past.
JET: What made you choose this focus as opposed to some of the other divisions within the D.A. office?
Carolyn: I know firsthand what it’s like to be abused as a child and I want to protect other children from having to live through the same anguish.
JET: Well, the city of New York is lucky to have you fighting for them. Now, on a different note, I understand you’ve got a touch of ESP. Can you let us know how this impacts your job?
Carolyn: Well, that isn’t common knowledge, but off the record, I’ve got the ability to read people, which comes in handy when cross examining defense witnesses. Although some folks I just can’t get a bead on and those are the ones I’ve learned to watch out for. A quiet mind usually means trouble.
JET: Can you tune in and tune out like a radio station?
Carolyn: Unfortunately, I can’t turn it on an off and I haven’t been able to find any rhyme or reason as to why it starts and stops. The only thing I’m certain of, is that it’s heightened when I start having visions, like I am lately.
It’s like some cosmic intervention and when that happens, when everything lines up just so, I seem to have more control over focusing it. Imagine being in a busy restaurant where everyone is talking to each other. That’s the normal state of my head during the heightened times, and I’ve learned to ignore the din for the most part, but this affliction isn’t infallible and as I said, sometimes I can’t get a read at all.
JET: I understand the FBI is involved in the Scarlet Psychopath case now. Have you met the Special Agent assigned to the case?
Carolyn: From your tone, I can tell you’ve had the pleasure of speaking with S.A. Steve Williams.
JET: Yes. I just didn’t know if you had an opinion on the man.Carolyn: Beyond the eye-candy element, he seems to be a sharp cookie.
Carolyn: And I understand he has a unique sense for ferreting out serial killers. This city needs that right now.
JET: He does along with a plethora of other talents. On that note, I’d like to thank you for sitting down with me. Before we wrap this up, is there anything you want to relay to the folks out there?
Carolyn: Young women, take heed – make sure you institute a buddy system when you go out in the city. Being alone after dark in New York City or any other city is not smart. Be smart and keep safe.
JET: Thank you Carolyn.
Folks, both Carolyn and I will be around all day, so if you have any questions, shoot. Remember to let us know who the question is directed toward. In the meantime, here’s a little about Crystal Illusions:
“Assistant D.A. Carolyn Hastings has an uncanny knack for putting away criminals. With one of the best prosecution records in recent history, her future as Manhattan’s next District Attorney looks certain. But her sixth sense for winning cases threatens to work against her when she starts seeing a string of murders through the eyes of the killer.
With suspects piling up as fast as bodies, and the motives of those closest to her questionable, Carolyn doesn’t know who to trust. When the FBI assigns Special Agent Steve Williams to the case, Carolyn discloses her deepest fear – that the man she loves may be the one responsible for the city’s latest crime spree.
The only thing Steve knows for sure is Carolyn has an inexplicable psychic connection with the killer, and all the victims have one thing in common…a striking resemblance to Carolyn Hastings.
And he knows it’s only a matter of time before this psychopath knocks on her door.”
“Taylor has a strong thriller where every single character has reasonable doubt flashing like a neon sign hanging over them, and right from the beginning you are trying to guess who the killer really is. Gripping, rich and magnificent – crime whodunnits don’t get any better than this!” Author Poppet / Gemma Rice – Author of Quislings, Blindsided, Djinn and Dusan
Questions for Readers:
1. Answer this question: If you could do anything (job wise), what would it be?
2. Bucket lists of things to do are always fun to create. Tell me your top bucket list items of things you want to do before the inevitable.
3. Is there anything you’re interested in knowing about either Carolyn Hastings or Crystal Illusions?
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨
Learn more about J.E. Taylor below:
To read reviews of this author’s work go here.
To visit the author’s website go here.
To visit the author’s blog go here.
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨
CONTEST INFO: Open to readers worldwide!
Prize: $50.00 Amazon Gift Card
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
The CONTEST portion of the event runs TWO DAYS until 11:59 pm Central on 4/22/11.
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask some questions, please no duplicates and answer the authors questions. + 1 points per question PLEASE ASK EACH ONE IN A SEPARATE POST.
3. Spread the word about this contest and HELP OUT JET by spreading the word about her book!
Tweet AND Facebook this event: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=52681 + 1 Points (max 3 times a day please not all at the same time) include @bittenbybooks in your tweet.
4. Buy a NEW copy of the author’s book by using the links below
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
You can also use the Amazon link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase. NOTE FREE KINDLE BOOKS DO NOT COUNT as a purchase.
5. Go VOTE for Virginia our Review coordinator for the Rockin’ Review Coordinator of the year for 2012 here: http://www.seriouslyreviewed.blogspot.com/ +30 points
Read and leave a meaningful comment on this week’s Screen Bite’s column here: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=52579 + 1 point
6. Tally your own points total +1 point
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry.