My world is pretty dangerous. In fact, if you knew just how dangerous, you might not visit the party capitol of America. I’m not talking about Las Vegas. Not talking about New York or LA. I’m talking about New Orleans, the home of Leo Pellissier, Blood Master of the City, and about fifty other titles that give him the right to govern most of the Southeastern US. But hey, his power base is in the French Quarter. He runs his city with an iron hand and if you cause problems, you might just disappear. I know a lot of his own kind who did just that after the most recent vamp war. Well, maybe insurrection might be closer to the truth. Or maybe civil war, though there was nothing civil about it at all. It was a bloody, vicious, vamp battle that wiped several clans off the map.
But I have to admit that New Orleans is a totally cool kinda place. Soul, Blues, Reggae, Zydeco, Cajun folk, and R&B on every street corner. Artists in the streets and in ateliers (that’s attic studios for the non-NOLA folk). Jewelry, dance, mimes (who are kinda weird. Just sayin’) clowns, (ditto on the weird) everywhere. Very cool place! And dangerous. Vamps make it dangerous.
So. The writer has asked me to give a list of Five Things to Bring to New Orleans. Easy peasy.
5. Cool clothes. I don’t mean cool as in stylish, though that helps. I mean cool as in lightweight. When I first got here I was wearing jeans. Did. Not. Work. Trust me. Bring some lightweight cotton stuff. Thin woven pants. Sandals. In fact, I recommend lightweight clothes even in winter. The writer is writing the fifth in the series featuring me, and in Death’s Rival, it’s winter. But hey. Not cold like the Appalachian Mountains, know what I mean? So, light jackets, sweaters. Boots, natch. Think HOT both in terms of weather and in terms of style!
4. Dancing shoes. I mean, come on. You gotta dance, right? Personally I like the Royal Mojo Blues Club in the French Quarter. The house band is always topnotch, and last week, they had a couple of the Neville Brothers there. Yeah. Really. I danced until I was ready to drop. Radically cool!
3. Blades. Preferably silver-plated, at least eight inches long, though I like mine longer. Twelve inches is good. Eighteen can be better when you’re trying to keep a vamp at fang’s distance. It might be more like a short-sword, but it does the trick to increase your reach.
2. Stakes. Vamps, right? Gotta have stakes. Three kinds: sterling silver, silver-tipped ash wood, and ash wood. Plain, no silver, on the last one. Sometimes you need to incapacitate a vamp, not kill the blood-sucking fiend.
1. Enough money to stay a while. I managed to snag a freebie house, provided by the vamps who hired me. But the city can be really expensive, especially if you stay in the French Quarter. And where else do you want to say, right? You can book a room in a hotel on St. Charles Ave. and take the street car to the Quarter. Yeah, that works. But the best place? The Quarter, hands down.
Hey – come visit. I’ll make you some good tea and show you around. We can go dancing, all night and then eat in my fave breakfast joint. If you’re lucky, you won’t need the stakes.
I am big-cat. I am Beast. I go where Jane goes, on Bitsa, her Harley-bike. Bitsa is a machine and machines are confusing—they have hearts and breathe, but then die and sit silent. Bitsa is alive and not-alive, but not dead. Confusing. Like vampires. I do not understand. (rolls over and looks at winter sky, paws in air)
Jane lives and hunts in New Orleans, in the city Leo Pellissier claims as hunting territory. Leo is a vampire and I want him as mate. He is good strong hunter with much territory. But Jane does not think Leo is good mate. She is confusing, too.
Jane wants me to give five things her fans should bring to her city. Leo’s city. I can count to five. (rolls back over and looks at reader)
5. (lifts lips in snarl) Bring your own deer. Deer are small here, but are mine. Deer here are Beast’s! Beast has claimed hunting ground and deer.
4. And rabbits. Bring your own rabbits. Your meat and your own prey.
3. Bring big rock to sleep on in sun. New Orleans has no rocks. Bring your own rock, so sun will warm it. Or you could use log. But rock is better. (crouches down and thinks) That is three. (flexes out claws, still thinking)
2. Bring killing claws. Must be able to defend self and mate and kits.
1. Killing teeth. To hunt and bring down prey. To defend against vampires.
I am Beast. Jane will take you dancing. I will take you hunting. (huffs with amusement) Embrace your inner Beast!
Hi I am Faith Hunter, and the two you just met live inside my head and on the pages of the Skinwalker series. So far, the series is four books: Skinwalker, BloodCross, Mercy Blade, Raven Cursed, and Death’s Rival coming out in October 2012. But I could easily write ten books about Jane and Beast. Maybe fifteen if the numbers hold up and the fans want them. The new release is of course, Raven Cursed, just out on Jan. 3.
In Raven Cursed, Jane Yellowrock is a shape-shifting skinwalker and vampire hunter for hire. But lately instead of just slaying vampires, she’s been working for them.
The vampires of Asheville, North Carolina, want to establish their own clan, but since they owe loyalty to Leo Pellissier, the Master of the City of New Orleans–and Jane’s boss–they must work out the terms with him. Leo sends an envoy with the best bodyguard money can buy: Jane Yellowrock.
But when a group of local campers is attacked by something supernatural, Jane goes from escort to investigator. It’s up to her to keep peace in the region, and unless she wants to face up to a very angry vampire Master, Jane will have to work overtime to find the killer. It’s a good thing she’s worth every penny.
Part of my giveaway this today is a necklace made by me, designed with Jane Yellowrock in mind. It will have a wire-wrapped, hand-knapped arrowhead focal stone, and beads. Because of the cost of shipping stone internationally, I’m offering this necklace only to US winners.
The Daily trivia question for Tuesday towards the grand prize of over $200.00 in gift certificates and goodies being given away on Friday is:
Faith likes stones and water over stones. What are her two hobbies?
EMAIL ALL of your answers at one time on FRIDAY to: email@example.com with the subject line TRIVIA Answers in the subject line to be entered
Learn more about Faith Hunter below:
To read reviews of this author’s work go here.
To visit the author’s website go here.
CONTEST INFO: Open to readers in the US
Prize 1: 1 copy of Skinwalker
Prize 2: 1 copy of Bloodring
Prize 3: A handcrafted artisan necklace made by Faith
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
The CONTEST portion of the event runs TWO DAYS until 11:59 pm Central on 1/11/11. Open to readers in the US unless otherwise noted.
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask the author some questions, please no duplicates. + 1 points ask as many questions as you like PLEASE ASK EACH ONE IN A SEPARATE POST
3. Spread the word about this contest and HELP OUT Karen by spreading the word about her book!
Tweet this event: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=50147 + 1 Points (max 3 times a day please not all at the same time) include @bittenbybooks in your tweet.
4. Buy a NEW copy of the author’s book by using the links below
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
You can also use the Amazon link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase. NOTE FREE KINDLE BOOKS DO NOT COUNT as a purchase.
5. VOTE for Bitten by Books in the P&E Best Review Site of the Year! Go here: http://critters.org/predpoll/reviewsite.shtml vote for us then remember to click on the verification link they send you to complete the vote! +10 points.
RSVP For Day 3 of the Week Long Author Event Lucienne Diver’s event here + 1 point: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=50043
6. Tally your own points total +1 point
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry