PLEASE NOTE: The contest portion of the Christine Cody event is now closed. Winners will be chosen at a later date and notified via email.
Christine Cody is the author of the postapocalyptic supernatural Western series Bloodlands and the urban fantasy Vampire Babylon books (w/a Chris Marie Green) from Ace. Once upon a time, she used to be an eighth-grade teacher until she became a full-time author who has published nearly forty books under all three of her pseudonyms (including Crystal Green). Bloodlands comes out July 26. Blood Rules follows on its heels on August 30, and then In Blood We Trust on September 27.
You can call me Gabriel.
Let’s just keep it simple and say early thirties.
Where do you come from?
A place called the Southblock. It’s the remaining part of Florida that wasn’t eradicated by encroaching waters, and it includes what used to be known as Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. You might’ve heard that the block once tried to secede from the Union, and it was the first part of the United States that the government had officially locked down with martial law. Anyway, there was this underground sanctuary there, full of people who fled from the bad guys who took over the urban hubs. After the mosquito epidemic wiped out most of our families and the criminals started getting away with stealing identities, we decided that living free on our own was the only option.
I had good reason for leaving the Southblock sanctuary and coming out to the New Badlands, but…
But even though the people in sanctuaries hate those bad guys who live in the urban hubs above, they sure don’t have much tolerance for monsters, either—and I’m one of them. The government said monsters were wiped out, thanks to the Shredders who slayed them, but humans had a hand in hunting monsters, too, and I doubt that their paranoia just up and disappeared so easily. Humans no doubt still think we’re parasites who drink their blood for its water content, seeing as water comes at such a cost everywhere these days.
What kind of monster are you?
Just your basic vampire.
What other kinds of monsters are out there?
I’m really not sure. At the very least, I know that, somewhere, my maker is still alive. I would’ve turned mortal again by now if she’d been vanquished. I think I’ll be able to detect other vampires if I meet them, though, even if I’m still young for a vamp and I suspect all my powers haven’t been polished up yet—abilities like going into minds and reading them and the like. But I heard that there used to be a lot of different monsters until they were hunted—things like demons and were-creatures and maybe a hundred other breeds. But they’re obviously very good at hiding. If they’re even out there.
Where do you see yourself five years from now?
I’m aiming for a future with the woman I love. Her name is Abby, and I met her in the sanctuary. She left soon after she found out what I am, but I’m not going to let her go that easily. I’ve discovered some clues to her whereabouts—it seems she headed out west, toward the New Badlands. I don’t know why she’d go there, with the weather as stifling and the landscape as deadly as they say they are. After all the global changes years ago—the West Coast getting blown off by terrorists, the ice caps melting, and all that—the west became a place to avoid. They say there are mutated animals running around, like the gargoyle-type shades that roam the skies looking for carrion below. It’s no place for anyone.
What did your high school yearbook say about you?
If I’d cared enough about reading a yearbook in the old days, mine would’ve said something about me being a little wild at heart. And it turns out that being a vampire allowed me some different addictions than I’d imagined were possible.
Nothing in particular, though, if the kind of movie you’re talking about were still being made, I’d have a yen for those action pictures they had before carnerotica took over. Films with actual stories to them. People nowadays generally love violence and sex images all spliced into a loop of pure sensation. It keeps them numb and quiet, so I see why the government would sponsor that. Carnerotica keeps everyone’s minds off the bad guys and how our government is filled with them.
If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
I’d make sure that I could take care of people to the very best of my abilities. My family died because of the mosquito epidemic, but there’re times I wish I’d known how to save them. And, even though Abby seemed fine with the news of my vampirism, she’s gone now, too. I mean to remedy whatever is ailing her, once I find her….
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆
Learn more about Christine Cody Below:
Read reviews of the author’s work here.
•¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆ •¸¸.•*¨*•☆
Prize 1: A $100.00 Electronic Amazon Gift Card
Prize 2: 2 each $25.00 Electronic Amazon Gift Card’s
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
This contest lasts for FOUR DAYS Ending at 11:59 pm Central on 7/29/11 at 11:59 pm CDT. Open to readers WORLDWIDE.
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask the author some questions, please no duplicates. + 1 points (max 2 towards points)
3. Spread the word about this contest and HELP OUT Christine by spreading the word about her new book!
Tweet this event: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=44847 + 1 Points (max 3 times a day please not all at the same time) include @bittenbybooks in your tweet.
4. Order NEW copies of the author’s book by using the links below.
Print click here
Kindle click here
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces).
OR you can use the Barnes & Noble link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. You can also use the Amazon link HERE to shop as well. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase.
5. Spend $15.00 or more at http://acharmingtime.com a portion of the proceeds goes to help keep Bitten by Books running. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces). Good for 200 points per receipt/purchase. Use code BBB20OFF for 20% off your order.
Tweet the code ONE time and URL like this for +15 points:
PzRT: Help out Bitten by Books by following @acharmingtime & shopping http://acharmingtime.com + Use code BBB20OFF for 20% off your order.
6.Attend and comment at Jennifer Estep’s Release party today here +5 points: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=44863
RSVP and Attend Caridad Piñeiro’s Release Party and $50.00 Gift Card contest here +1 point: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=44843
VOTE and comment in this week’s poll (vote on the right hand side of the site first then comment here +1 point: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=44830
Leave a meaningful and thoughtful comment on this week’s edition of Off the Fang! here +1 point: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/?p=44823
7. Tally your own points total +1 point
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry