PLEASE NOTE: The Faith Hunter contest is now closed. The winner will be chosen at a later date and contacted via email.
Chinese Portraits have been around for years, but they are a Q&A interview unlike any other. Instead of the usual, “Tell us how you got started writing,” type of query, the questions in a Chinese Portrait dig deeper, into the psyche of a person (or a character) and reveal the hidden depths. Or, God forbid, the lack of them! So, in celebration of the release of Mercy Blade, the third Jane Yellowrock novel, by Faith Hunter, here is a Chinese Portrait of Jane, and her inner Beast.
Chinese portrait of Jane Yellowrock and Beast
If you were a quality?
Jane: I would want to be strong, like the oak that bends but doesn’t break. Lately, the men in my life are PITAs, and strength and self reliance sound like good qualities.
Beast: (chuff) Silly Jane. Jane cannot be tree. Jane is animal. But Jane is alone and needs mate. Strong mate. I would look for good mate for Jane.
Jane: That’s not what a quality is, Beast. A quality is—
Beast: Good hunter. I am good hunter. (Turns nose away.) Silly humans.
If you were a flaw?
Jane: for the last few months I’ve been nothing but guilt. And really, not a lot of the poop-hits-fan-stuff has been my fault, but I’m the one with the guilt, which sucks. I need to stop being guilty.
Beast: Beast is good hunter. Beast has no flaws.
If you were a work of art?
Jane: A fine, handmade blade, well kept, so sharp you can’t actually see the cutting edge. The finest Japanese steel, heavily silvered, a distance away from the cutting edge. With a horn handle, crosshatched for a good grip. Oh yes!
Beast: (Chuffs in displeasure. Flicks ear tabs, annoyed.) What is art?
Jane: You’re a philosopher!
Beast: I am Beast. I am not some word I do not understand. Not silly game I do not understand.
Jane: A philosopher is like— Um… Art is like a painting or a song or an opera … Never mind.
If you were a sound?
Jane: Hmmm. The sound of blades clashing. The sound of bodies hitting, slapping, engaged in combat.
Beast: Jane needs mate. Should be sounds of mating.
Jane: Hush. We can talk about that later.
Beast: Want Bruiser. And Leo. And Rick. (Chuffs and shows Jane image of very big bed.)
Jane: Later. Not. Now.
If you were a song/music?
Jane: (Shakes off irritation with Beast.) I like drums, something from the islands, maybe with a hint of flute in the background. Something I can dance to.
Beast: Scream of Puma concolor. Scream–song that challenges all, that claims territory.
If you were a word?
Jane: Like my writer, I would be persistent. Of course, when she was growing up, she was told that persistence was the Devil’s finest quality, so perhaps that isn’t such a good word to claim after all.
Beast: I am Beast and beast. Do not understand this game. Need to hunt, to bring deer. (Looks around.) No deer here. Rabbit?
If you were a book?
Jane: Dangerous question, that. You know. Since I’m in one. Well three, now. If I pick one I’m not in, will I disappear?
Beast: Not a book. (Lifts lips to show killing teeth.) Not a book.
If you were a motto/a quotation?
Jane: Have stakes will travel.
Beast: Embrace You Inner Beast.
If you were a movie?
Jane: The Vampire Lestsat. Or the Buffy TV shows.
Beast: Born Free. (Huffs with amusement.)
Jane: (Rolls eyes.)
If you were a time period?
Jane: I’ve lived in three centuries now. Pick one. Wait. I like hot baths and cell phones. I’ll take this one.
Beast: Time before yunega made Cherokee to leave land in mountains, and then took trees, and burned the land. White man is evil. Time before he came was good time.
Jane: Oh, Beast. I’m so sorry.
Beast: Turns away. Does not answer.
If you were a personage of fiction?
Jane: Hmmm. Cat woman?
Beast: (Snorts with amusement) Jane is cat woman.
If you were an animal?
Jane and Beast look at one another.
Jane: Ummm. Have you not read my books?
Learn more about Faith Hunter below:
To read reviews of this author’s work go here.
To visit the author’s website go here.
CONTEST INFO: Open to Readers WORLDWIDE. The contest portion of the event runs until 11:59 pm Central on 1/12.
Prize: A $50.00 Electronic Amazon Gift Card
The Contest Entry rules have changed so read them carefully
These are the ways you can enter to gain points towards winning the prize offered here today. The only one that is mandatory is #1. The rest are optional. The more you do, the more points you gain, the better your odds at winning the prize. Prizes are chosen using the random.org number generator. Making a purchase is NOT mandatory, it is only one way to gain additional points. There are free ways to get points. Remember to add in your RSVP points if you RSVP’d.
1. LEAVE YOUR FIRST NAME AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND YOUR COUNTRY in your comment/post so we can give you the proper credit for your entries. Mandatory, if you don’t leave this, your entries will NOT count. It is NOT mandatory to make a purchase to be entered into the contest.
2. Ask some questions please make sure they aren’t duplicates. Good for 5 + points per question. (Max 3 good towards 15 points)
3. Order copies of her newly released book Mercy Blade by using the links below.
To purchase a print copy of Mercy Blade from Amazon click here.
To purchase a Kindle copy of Mercy Blade from Amazon click here.
To purchase a print copy of Mercy Blade from Barnes & Noble click here.
To purchase a Nook copy of Mercy Blade from Barnes & Noble click here.
Good for 500 + points per book you purchase by using the links above. Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces). Not valid on past purchases.
OR you can use the Barnes & Noble link HERE to make your purchase of ANY kind of merchandise during the contest. You can also use the Amazon link HERE to shop as well. Good for 100 + entries to the contest for EACH item you purchase. Not valid on past purchases.
4. Attend and participate in the Desiree Holt Kindle Contest today (until 1/17): http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=34882 + 15 points
RSVP then attend the Judi Fennell Guest Blog and Book contest here: http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=34893 +15 points
Vote and then comment in the Weekly Poll
http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=34850 + 15 points
Check out the WillowTree Press Special
http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=34866 Buy books and send your receipt +100 points per book (does not include the free book offered) Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces). Not valid on past purchases.
5. Check out the awesome True Blood Jewelry Line here: when you buy something using this link http://cadsawan.com/collection-buy.shtml Email your receipt to the prize Goddess here bittenbybooks.contests @ gmail.com (no spaces). Not valid on past purchases. Good for + 200 points
6. Tally Your own points total 1 + Point
Also be SURE to check out our amazing line up of other author events this month here: http://bittenbybooks.com/?page_id=4
RULES AND LEGAL DISCLAIMERS
Winner(s) will be contacted via email. You will receive your prize directly from the author. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR FIRST AND THE INITIAL OF YOUR LAST NAME AND COUNTRY as well as a valid email where we can contact you. REMEMBER the more things you do, the more entries, the greater the chances of winning. PLEASE ALLOW THIRTY DAYS to receive your prize BEFORE EMAILING US.
1. Please note, the prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be absolutely no substitutions or changes the prize is non-transferable. If you don’t want the prize being offered, please don’t enter the contest. If you ever win an electronic copy of a book, please note that it is ILLEGAL to forward, give away or copy it in anyway once you receive it. Doing so violates copyright. If we find out that it has been done, you will no longer be eligible to win any of our contests.
2. You have THREE days from the day the we contact you to claim your prize by sending your name/mailing address to us at the contact email we provide. Failure to contact us will forfeit your prize. BBB can at that time, choose either to re-award the prize to another entrant or not.
3. The prize stated IS the prize you will receive, there will be no substitutions, trades or changes. No exceptions. Please do not ask. If for some reason you do not wish to claim your prize, please let me know as soon as possible. Bitten by Books has the option to re-award it or not.
4. Contest is open to readers in the USA except where noted above. The prizes are almost ALWAYS shipped directly from the publisher/author unless otherwise noted.
5. Bitten by Books is in NO way responsible for the prizes being offered in any of the contests. If for some reason a contributor does not honor their prize, there is nothing we can or will do about it. We are not worried that this will happen, but we want to be very clear that WE are not offering these prizes, the contributor is and it is their responsibility to fulfill their prize obligations not Bitten by Books.
6. These rules are subject to change or be modified without prior written notice.
7. Contest is void where prohibited.
8. By entering this contest you are agreeing to our terms of entry